Matsumae International Foundation is pleased to announce the Matsumae International Foundation Fellowship in Japan 2023. The fellowship is open to outstanding scholars, who have completed their Ph.D. or a postdoctoral research position, and are interested in conducting research in Japan. The aim of this program is to promote academic exchange between Canada and Japan by providing opportunities for Canadian scholars to work on research projects at Japanese universities.
The Matsumae International Fellowship Program invites outstanding young scholars to Japan for up to one year as visiting researchers and teachers. The program aims to promote international exchange between Japan and other countries and regions and encourage Japanese studies abroad by supporting talented foreign scholars who wish to conduct research in Japan.
About Matsumae International Foundation:
Matsumae International Foundation is a non-profit organization that provides grants for academic research, study and travel to Japanese academic institutions. The aim of the foundation is to promote dialogue between Japanese and international scholars across a wide range of disciplines. The foundation will award up to five fellowships per year of up to US$5,000 each.
These fellowships are intended for non-Japanese researchers who will be based in Japan for a period of up to one year and are supported by the Japanese government. The grantee is expected to make significant contributions to Japanese society during their stay in Japan. These grants include a monthly stipend, travel expenses and accommodation allowance. The amount provided varies depending on the length of time that the grantee will be in Japan. Grants are awarded on a competitive basis, with preference given to candidates who have not previously received funding from Matsumae International Foundation or other sources related to its mission.
The Matsumae International Foundation offers two types of fellowship:
Matsumae Fellowships in Japan (Maximum duration: one year) – These fellowships are intended for individuals who have a deep interest in Japanese culture and history but who may not be able to spend a full year in Japan due to professional obligations or family responsibilities. The program provides an opportunity for individuals to undertake research related to their fields at various universities or other institutions around Japan.
Matsumae International Fellowship Program (Maximum duration: three years) – The program provides opportunities for those who wish to pursue their academic interests at an advanced level through coursework, research or another activity approved by the Board of Directors.
Details of Fellowship:
Host Country: Japan
Host Institute: Different Universities in Japan
Fellowship Offered by:Matsumae International Foundation
Financial Benefits: fully funded
Eligible Nationality: World Wide Students
Academic Fields and Majors:
Matsumae International Foundation Fellowships in Japan 2023 offers you a chance to study or conduct research in Japan.
- Study of Japanese language, culture, and society at the Department of Japanese Studies (Faculty of Letters) at Waseda University in Tokyo.
- Study of Japanese language and culture at the Department of Language and Culture (Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences) at Sophia University in Tokyo.
- Research on Japanese language, culture and society at a research institute affiliated with one of these universities.
Benefits of Matsumae International Fellowship:
- The Foundation provides grants for tuition fees and living expenses for one academic year, with a maximum value of JPY 1 million (approximately EUR 8,700). The grant will be provided only after the applicant has obtained admission to a university in Japan.
- A monthly stipend of JPY 50,000 (about USD 500) for up to 6 months. This can be extended up to 12 months, subject to availability and approval by the Foundation (additional funding may be available).
- Free housing for up to 12 months, subject to availability and approval by the Foundation (additional funding may be available).
- Subsidized travel expenses for trips between Japan and home country for up to 12 months, subject to availability and approval by the Foundation (additional funding may be available).
Candidates must hold a doctoral degree or have received their doctoral degree within the past three years (i.e., before June 30, 2023);
- The applicant must be an emerging scholar who has not yet established an independent career;
- All applicants must be Canadian citizens or permanent residents at the time of application;
- Applicants should be in the 25-35 age group
- Candidate must be fluent in English.
- Applicants must have a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent degree from a recognized University or College.
- Applicants must be graduate students at an accredited US university who are enrolled in or will be enrolled in a PhD program in the fall of 2023 (September 1 – December 31).
Applicants must be either citizens or permanent residents of one of the countries listed below:
Brazil, Canada, China (including Hong Kong), Colombia, France, Germany, India, Indonesia (Bali), Japan (Hokkaido), Malaysia, Mexico, New Zealand, Philippines, South Korea (Seoul), Taiwan (Taipei), Thailand (Bangkok), United Kingdom and the United States.
- . Proof of current academic status (a copy of your transcript)
- A copy of your passport and visa pages
- A letter from the host institute, confirming the offer of a research grant and stipend
- A letter from a faculty member at your home institution, confirming that you are qualified to apply for a fellowship and stating that he/she will be responsible for supervising your research project during the time period specified in the application.
- Academic Qualification Certificate (original and photocopy).
- Curriculum Vitae (CV) (two copies).
- Copies of certificates/transcripts of the last two years of education.
- Copies of all publications and research papers published during PhD period.
- Two letters of recommendation from professors/researchers who are familiar with your research work.
How to apply:
To apply for a Matsumae International Foundation fellowship or internship program, visit the organization’s website at www.matsumeai.com/en/matsumae-scholarships/. Select the option “Apply Online” from the menu bar at the top of the page. A new window will open with an application form that must be completed online before submission. You can save your progress as you fill out questions on the form by clicking on “Save & Continue Later” in the upper right corner at any time during completion.*
Last Date to apply:
There is No Application Fee Required to apply for the Matsumae International Foundation fellowship 2023.The Last Date to Apply for these Fully Funded Fellowship program in Japan is APRIL- JUNE 30 2022